Baked Steelhead Trout
- 1 Steelhead trout 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- salt, ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, 1 tsp zest plus all the freshly squeezed juice.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a skillet or small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallot and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes, until the shallot softens.
- Add the garlic and the lemon zest, cook for another minute. Cool slightly. Squeeze in half of the lemon juice.
- Place the fish on the prepared baking sheet. If it’s really big, lay it diagonally across the baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the butter over the fish.
- Sprinkle with half of the minced dill.
- Roast in the oven for 12-17 minutes, depending on how thick the fish is. The best way to check for doneness is to use a fork to gently prick the fish, and if it flakes easily, it’s ready.
- Use several spatulas to take the fish off the baking sheet in one piece. (Or cut it into sections, if it’s easier.)
- Squeeze the other half of the lemon over the fish and sprinkle with more fresh dill.